Latitude: 39.94110036036584, Longitude: -75.15661239624023
Notes: This cemetery was incorporated as the Philadelphia Cemetery Company. It was located at Shippen (now Bainbridge), 9th and Fitzwater St. It was established by a deed of trust from James Ronaldson, 1827. Photographed in the collection of the City History Society of Phila.
Article in The Phila. Bulletin (not dated, found at Genealogical Soc. of Pa.)
Old Cemetery in South Phila. Soon to Be a City Playground
by Joseph T. Reichwein
The last chapter is about to be written in the history of Ronaldson Cemetery, an old Philadelphia landmark.
Today workmen began converting the 123- year-old burial ground bounded by Bainbridge and Fitzwater sts. in the block between 8th and 9th, into a city playground.
Thus will end a riches-to-rags existence for the cemetery, which was once considered the most beautiful in the country, but which, for the last 25 years has been a neglected eyesore-a dumping ground for neighborhood junk.
13,500 to be Reburied
First step in the conversion will be the disinterment and reburial of some 13,500 dead.
Included are the bodies of Revolutionary War heroes and stars of the early stage.
The bodies of six patriots and the stones that mark their graves will be transferred to the burial ground behind Old Swedes Church, Swanson and Christian sts. The area is now a national shrine.
The other dead will be reburied in a section of Forest Hills Cemetery, Somerton. Their graves will be marked by bronze tablets and the crumbling old tombstones in Ronaldson's will be destroyed.